PORTELAMOR, NOW IN ENGLISH
The PORTELAMOR invites all to do a visit to the past and remember the PORTELA´s birth.
In the Century XVIII and XIX there were 13 sugar mills in Rio de Janeiro, productive and economically important, being that a farm detached, Engenho do Portela, and its extension was from Campinho until Rio das Pedras, the slavers contributed in the daily labor. This extension of land later received the name of the cowboy and most famous seller of the locality: LOURENÇO MADUREIA.
In 1890, with the TRAIN arrival, an expressive number of persons got round this locality, named Rio Vizinho. In 1917 receives the definitive name of OSWALDO CRUZ in honor to the great sanitarist.
The History of the Portela reflects the 1921´s , when Esther Maria Rodrigues (1896-1964) and its husband Euzébio Rosas, then flag-bearer and samba host of the Solitary Star cordon of Madureira, moved from that district to Oswaldo Cruz, where found the group 'Who Talks about Us Eats Fly '.
A dissent of this group, controlled by Galdino Marcelino dos Santos, Paulo Benjamim de Oliveira (known as Paulo of the Portela), Antônio Rufino and Antônio da Silva Caetano, resulted in 1922 in another group, the 'Small baianas of Osvaldo Cruz', that in the following year adopted a status and established a directory, fact that made the foundation date of Portela be many times reflected erroneously to 1923. The Group, however, did not last too much time.
April of 1923 Rufino, Caetano and Paulo, gathered in a house , where fu ctioned the Bar of the Nozinho, in the Road of the Portela, number 412, decided to create an another Group, in April, 11 of 1926, being born then the 'Carnival Group Osvaldo Cruz'. Founded on the concepts of Paulo Benjamin de Oliveira, to avoid the confrontations in the streets. Days after the block foundation, Paulo undertook to the baptism. D Martinha baiana related to the Candomblé, and declared patrons of Our Lady of the Conception and Saint Sebastian. Mrs. Martinha was declared the sponsor.
'In 1930 the School emerged with the name of ' Who make us is the Whim', given by Heitor dos Prazeres after winning the contest of carnival and get home, assumed the Set of Oswaldo Cruz and its first providence was change the name of the 'Set of Oswaldo Cruz', realized some presentations, but there was not any contest. After the carnival Manuel Bam Bam and Antônio Rufino, the main adversaries of Heitor dos Prazeres, returned to the school government and changed its name for 'Come as you can'.
At 1st of May of 1934, at receiving the managers of the 'Come as you can' pretended to renovate the license of functioning, the officer Dulcidio Gonçalves did an unexpected proposal: the change of the name of the school. Alleged that the present name was indecent for a School of Samba of large-scale. Paulo da Portela tried to argument but the officer supported the idea of change and suggested a new name 'RECREATION CLUB SCHOOL OF SAMBA PORTELA'. Under the circumstances, the proposal was accepted.
The Samba Dominating the World, the old 'Come as you can', now PORTELA, entered the History as winner of the first parade of the Rio de Janeiro, in 1935. In the first step of the Portela´s History, Paulo Benjamin de Oliveira has been leading the School's destination, helped by its companions of samba, being Antônio Caetano e Antônio Rufino the close companions. Still around its leadership other 'Masters' were present like: Manuel Gonçalves dos Santos (Manuel am Bam), Ernani Alvarenga, Alcides Dias Lopes (Alcides, historical raskal), Nélson Amorim, João da Gente, Chico Santana, Alberto Lonato, Cláudio Bernardes, Osvaldo dos Santos (Alvaiade).
The second step of the Portela´s History was conduced by Natalino José do Nascimento, Natal; it was in the back of his father's house, Napoleão at the corner of the Street Joaquim Teixeira with the road of the Portela, that the School was founded. Responsible by an odyssey blue and white school in the revolution of the Schools of Samba of the Rio de Janeiro.
The death of Paulo da Portela that Natal decides to dedicate itself to the PORTELAand helped to become it the biggest of all the schools of samba. In 1972, Natal began to build the present headquarter of the PORTELA, the PORTELÃO. Natal was a composer samba, King of the Samba, of the district, of the city. Natal was a samba composer that never did samba, that never draw a step that never sang a refrain.
The LOVE overcame the PAIN. The first Portela persons were magic, made music persons of the ex slaves and theirs sons. The first Portela´s compositions portrayed all the difficulties, lack of human, budgetary and material resources that those persons passed in that period of liberation. The jongo, as a typically rural expression, found in the Madureira and Oswaldo Cruz region, away from the town center, a fertile field for the almost untouched preservation of its purest and most original form.
The visit to the past that the PORTELAMOR CHEERING invited all will stay here but the Portela continues to write its HISTORY.